Room No.337, District Administration Complex, Barnala


Cell Name



Women Cell





Women related Issues


Are there any special provisions with regard to arrest, search, bail, and Imprisonment etc for women under the law?


Yes. The Cr.PC and the Supreme Court in its various rulings has provided for   special provisions with regards to women which are listed below :



  • Upholding the belief in the inalienable Human Rights of the individual and the Rule of Law
  • If a woman finds traumatic to report to a Police Station, she can directly report to a magistrate .Sec 156 (3) Cr.PC )
  • Females can be searched by only another female with strict regard to privacy and decency. ( Sec 51 Cr.PC ).
  • Female suspects must be kept in a separate lock-up in the police station. They should not be kept where male suspects are detained. (S.C. judgment Sheela Barse v. State of Maharashtra).
  • When a female is arrested for a non-bailable offence, even if the offence is very serious. (punishable even by death penalty), the court can release her on bail. (Sec.437, Cr. P.C )



In the Prison:


  • All female prisoners have to be imprisoned in a separate building or in separate part of the same building which is completely separate from the male prisoners
  • Under trials have to be segregated from convicts undergoing sentence.
  • Adolescent female prisoners should be kept away from older women, whether habitual or not
  • Respectable prisoners have to be secluded from prostitutes.
  • A female prisoner cannot be handcuffed of put in fetters
  • No male unaccompanied by the Matron can enter the female enclosure.
  • Child birth in jail to be avoided or where unavoidable, midwife to be requisitioned.


My husband and my in laws keep torturing me for more dowry in spite of the fact that my father gave more than his capacity during marriage. Can police help me ?


Police can definitely help you. Under the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961, giving, taking, giving, abetting of taking or giving, and even mere demanding dowry is a  cognizable and non bailable offence with a punishment that various from 2 years  to 5 years imprisonment and fine. A written complaint to the police will suffice.